Thursday, March 15, 2007

St. Patrick


I was searching the web for the true story of St. Patrick and I found a great article at this web site:


The article is a little long for this page so I will post some excerpts and you can check the link for the full story :)

"Before all the festivities focused on shamrocks and leprechauns and good luck wishes, there was truly something to celebrate: a man willing to stand in the gap for Jesus Christ. Reporter David Kithcart reveals the inspiring true story behind this courageous and fervent Irishman we all know as Saint Patrick.
It was an act of defiance that changed the course of a nation. Patrick lit a fire in pagan 5Th century Ireland, ushering Christianity into the country. Who was this man who became the patron saint of Ireland?"

The basic overview is Patrick grew up in Britain in the time after the Romans fell. He was kidnapped at age 16 and was enslaved in Ireland for 6 years. He was told in a dream to escape and he took a boat

"One night during a time of prayer and fasting, Patrick wrote: "I heard in my sleep a voice saying to me: 'It is well that you fast. Soon you will go to your own country.' And again, after a short while, I heard a voice saying to me: 'See, your ship is ready.' "

, ended up in France at a monastery for a few months and then back home in Britain. Later he was given a vision to return to Ireland and spread God's word to the druids.

"One night, he had a dream. Thee was a man who came from Ireland with a whole bunch of letters. And he opened up one of the letters and it said 'The Voice of the Irish.' And then he heard a voice coming out of this letter that said, 'Holy boy, please return to us. We need you.'"

So he answered and returned to the place of his captivity.

"And so that was his first challenge: to convince the Irish that there was only one God and that his God really did love them."

"Preaching the Gospel, of course, baptizing converts, confirming them, appointing clergy," continues Calvert.
Patrick's ministry lasted 29 years. He baptized over 120,000 Irishmen and planted 300 churches.
"What Patrick did was really lay the groundwork for Christianity," says Freeman.

Patrick died on March 17Th around 493

Here is a great poem that he wrote:

Listen to Patrick's poem of faith and trust in God, "The Breastplate":
"Christ be within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ inquired, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger."





No comments: