Saturday, August 1, 2009

VBS, School, and Charlotte Mason!

Our church had VBS this last week! The theme was Paul and the Underground church. It was a really great VBS the kids had a blast. I was exhausted though because I helped out as a group leader. No pictures of course because there was no way I was carrying around my camera all day. This weekend I have been getting things ready, because Monday we are starting school. I'm really excited about this year, and so are the kids. Lately I have been reading up on Charlotte Mason, and her educational philosophies. I checked out A Charlotte Mason Education, More Charlotte Mason Education, and for The Children’s Sake from the library. I have also found a ton of info online. I'm really excited about implementing more of her methods. It is great reading about it because it is exactly the education that I have wanted to and already to some extent have been doing. I still consider myself eclectic, but I will be leaning more toward CM this year. Buster and I went to the library today, and found some great books for school next week. I started reading Black Beauty to the kids this week, and began trying to get Buster to Narrate back to me what he remembers from the chapter. The first time I asked him he couldn't remember much, but when I explained that he needed to listen more carefully because I was going to ask him each time he did much better. I'm enjoying the book also because I've never read it. We will be incorporating copy work, nature journals, art/music appreciation, and living books as well. I have always strived to read great books to my kids, so it isn't exactly a new thing. I think I might read her actual books next. For those of you who have no idea who she is, or what I'm talking about here are some links:
http://simplycharlottemason.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Mason
http://www.amblesideonline.org/WhatIsCM.shtml
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/methods/CharlotteMason.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask you if you'd seen Ambleside Online yet, but I see you have it linked. It's a great CM resource. We're starting tomorrow, too. Hoping we both have a great first day.

Faerylandmom said...

I've never even heard of Charlotte Mason...

I'm reading through the Chronicles of Narnia with Turbo & Cuteness, and I always ask them what happened the chapter before. They can both answer pretty well...So fun!